So many business owners think that reputation management means just getting reviews on Google or Facebook, but in reality it's so much more than that.
Reputation management is exactly what it says - Managing your online reputation. It is public relations - PR - for your company. It encompasses all of the following points:
- Asking and encouraging your customers or clients for their testimonial or "review" of your business products or services
- Encouraging your customers or clients to be truthful and not feel like they have to respond in a powder puff style - honesty rocks
- Responding to negative reviews given - if the review is negative or biased, responding truthfully, appropriately and professionally
- Responding to positive reviews - thanking the responder and letting them know they are a valued component of your business
- Building your online reputation slowly over time - mass amounts of positive reviews in a short time are often a sign of fake reviews
- Learning from any negative reviews given that are true by implementing procedures for change so you and your company don't drop the ball again
- If you have a large number of negative reviews, by all means work with a professional reputation management firm that can help you turn the tide and get your company back on track
- If you are a larger company who wishes to automate your reputation management, do your due diligence in researching reputable companies and their software. Pricing is important, services included are important, and above all, whether or not they have been dinged by Google for shady tactics is paramount
Responsible reputation management is important to growing your business both online and off. It is a huge reflection of your ethics as a company, your customer service, your reputation obviously, and your credibility. Without solid credibility, like without your health, you've got nothing.